The Musings of a Muse

Friday, March 17, 2006

Holiday Race Relations

A conversation between a Muse and her child.

Early morning, Friday, March 17, 2006:

Child: Good morning, mama. Happy Patrick's Day.
Muse: It's SAINT Patrick's Day, sug'.
Child: Happy St. Patrick's Day, mama.
Muse: Thank you, sug', but I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
Child: Why not?
Muse: Because I'm not Irish.
Child: Am I Irish?
Muse: No.
Child: Is nana Irish?
Muse: No.
Child: Is Gris the Cat Irish?
Muse: I don't think so. Probably not, I'd say.
Child: Well, who's Irish?
Muse: Usually Irish people are white.
Child: Well, I'm not white. I'm brown...I mean, black.
Muse: Right.
Child: Is Mimi Irish? She's white.
Muse: No, Mimi is not white. She's Hispanic.
Child: Mimi looks white.
Muse: She's not. She's Mexican. She speaks Spanish. She's not white or Irish.
Child: Well, I know who's Irish.
Muse: Who?
Child: Clowns. They have white faces. Does that mean that are Irish?
Muse: Could be.
Child: Well, when I see a clown today I will tell him Happy Patrick's Day.
Muse: Happy SAINT Patrick's Day.
Child: That's what I said. HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY, CLOWNS.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home